Top 10: Reason to Pick Up Yoga This Semester
- Article by WVU Staff
- September 11, 2012
You’re in class trying to listen to lecture, and the girl to your right is all “Oh my god, Joe totally didn’t call me back after I called him twice and left three texts stating my explicit emotional status.” The teacher is prattling on about theory and practice; rhetoric permeates your essence and you may just fucking die from being a really awesome person in a really shitty place. You think “Maybe I should search the library floor for Adderall…”
Yoga is commonplace and well known to many, but a large percent of people never try it. Trying Yoga at the Recreational Center is completely invigorating and can be beneficial to one’s health. Here is a list to help get you on the mat.
10. It’s FREE: Okay, so it’s not really free. You’re promising your first born child to the university in exchange for knowledge and cheap food, but it is included with that sacrifice. As long as you have your Student ID, you can walk into the studio at the scheduled times, grab a mat, and figure out how the hell to sit in a pretzel-like manner.
9. Breathing: Releasing oxygen into your brain is probably the best thing you can do for your studious self aside from pretending to like soy milk.
8. Blood Pressure: Remember that bitch that stepped on you with her heel as she drunkenly crawled out of Subway? Now would be a great time to know that you won’t have a heart attack on top of a red hand. Yoga positions that encourage twisting and bending help your system strengthen and pump blood through your body with vigor.
7. Flexibility: Aside from obvious and ostensible benefits, flexibility is a wonderful thing to have.
6. De-stress: What a wonderful joy yoga is. A negative person can and will find a shift of energy in the studio, and those people in your class can suck it, because you just did Downward Facing Dog like a boss.
5. Patience: “The PRT is down again? No way, that’s unusual and completely unexpected.” Yeah, okay. But it’s whatevs, you just did yoga so maybe you will just sit down and read a book while the other students harass the intercom and shake their Student IDs at the security cameras.
4. Positive Thinking: The glory that is positive thinking is all encompassing. Someone cut you off in traffic? They’re probably late for something and they need to get there quickly, so let them go. Your professor didn’t respond to you and you think that means they secretly hate you and want you to fail? Nah, they probably just didn’t see it yet. Being able to let go of the negativity that pervades our culture is not easily done, but yoga always allows one to feel forgiving.
3. Strength: Have you seen what a Dragonfly pose is?
2. Mental Clarity: Being inundated with information is both expected and encouraged by most academic leaders. Taking an hour of your time three days a week is fulfilling enough to enable you to see through the hectic haze.
1. Bangin’ Figure: Yeah. Give it about two months, and you will be buying those Victoria’s Secret yoga panties up the yang, and who the hell needs pants when you actually have a yoga body?